Sunday, May 28, 2006

College friends are the best!

My son had a 4-H contest in Davis, CA this weekend, so the whole family came to it. All 4 of us! I think it is official, I have a teenager on my hands that would rather look COOL than do something right. He gave a speech and although I was very proud of him for getting up in front of people to give his speech, he looked as though he could care less about doing it and that I drug him there by his toenails and could barely move. I mean, GOOD GRIEF! When it was his turn, it took him 5 minutes to set things up! And all he had to do was take his skateboard out of his backpack! UGH!!!!!! But I love him dearly and now I've discovered I need to pray for patience, regardless of whether I fear my MIL coming to live with me! LOL!

But the best part of the weekend was dinner with my college roommate and her family. We went to her house in Woodland. She has 5 kids under the age of 11. EECCKK! It took her 10 minutes just to sit down and eat! WOW! We brought a bottle of Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon to share and boy . . . .GOOD STUFF! There is nothing better than sharing a bottle of great wine with fabulous friends. I really miss EM. She is so fun, so jovial. She makes life easy. She doesn't judge, and loves life. So getting caught up just made me miss her more. Truly, I need to pick up the phone more often and call her. It's not like we live light years apart!!!!!


Oh gosh, the funniest part of the weekend was discovering my daughter is ruined. RUINED I TELL YOU! So we show up to the last hotel room in Davis, which happens to be a bed and breakfast. She is clutching me for dear life as we travel up the steps.
"Madalyn! What is wrong?"
"This doesn't look like a place that has those Heavenly Beds Mom. This makes me nervous."
"Madalyn, you are gonna love this! Think of it as a sleepover in someone's house!"
"Oh that freaks me out Mom! Mom, who is that lady on the wall. Why does she keep staring at me?"
"That would be the Mona Lisa, Madalyn."
"Who is she?"
And then of course, her teenage brother chimes in and says something stupid like, "Ah, she used to live her but she's dead now."
Thanks Hayden. That's calming for the nerves!
But the good news is, I slept like a log . . . ok, a log that kept turning and was hotter than hell last night, but of well. It was an experience. I can't WAIT to see what she does if I ever make her sleep in a MOTEL 6!

2 comments:

Diana said...

Looks like a pretty place you stayed at! Great job on your blogging and good luck on getting on another DT! - Diana from TTS

christina said...

sounds like you had a fabulous weekend. it is always nice to get together with old friends. something i need to do to. your daughter being freaked out sounds to funny. i remember feeling that way too though LOL. i am so not looking forward to the teenage years. :)